Pages

June 14, 2012

Winter in Patagonia, Summer in Chicago!

Curious Guanacos 

After reading articles produced, inspired or even written by kids, it was high time penguins, whales, sea wolves and elephant seals spoke for themselves!

Peninsula Valdes is one of the best places to see wildlife in Argentina, indeed for those interested in marine life it may be the very best.

Here in Peninsula Valdes one can see Southern right whales, sea lions, orcas (killer whales), magellan penguins and elephant seals as well as many other species, all interacting in their natural habitat. The scenery is also stunning, with a barren majesty that is quite breathtaking, this beautiful coast remains pristine and the water here is crystal clear (making it ideal for diving at the correct times of year). As if this wasn't enough, three giant salt lakes can be found in the middle of the peninsula.

Here is our advice for a visit with the animals as protagonists.

Penguins!

Before heading to the peninsula, the best way to see penguins is going to Punta Tombo. Us Penguins are sometimes outshined by the marine mammals’ splendor and size, but if you want to see an authentic penguin demonstration, you have to come to Punta Tombo. Created in 1979 to protect us, the reserve has the biggest continental colony of Magellan penguins, those wearing tails in black and white. Please bear in mind that if a human being touches us, our smell changes and we are rejected by the rest of the penguins. We are fragile. Tell your children not to touch us.

Mom and Son
Diving!

Slash, glup, glup! Dip in the water! I am the cold sea of the Peninsula proposing an adventure only for the brave: diving. It may be done either at Puerto Madryn or at Puerto Piramides, but I am always the main character. In my waters you can see starfish, sea urchins, snails and fish like groupers, turcos and salmons.

To keep the body heat at 7 mm thick neoprene suit is used ( the surf ones are only 3 mm thick ) with long legs and sleeves, one piece or two pieces, besides gloves, boots and helmet. It is a tight wetsuit, into which I try to get to warm myself and the humans up a bit in their body temperature.

Diving with sea wolves is expressly forbidden but nobody can forbid them from swimming towards the divers and I can assure you tha the experience is incredible. Besides, there are two sea wolves’ areas at Piramides, Baiza 25 de mayo and Punta Alta, where the meeting is almost guaranteed.




Sea Wolves and Elephant Seals

We are the majority and unlike the killer whales, whales and penguins that like to make themselves scarce, we are there for our audience most part of the year. Sea wolves and elephant seals are pinnipeds, that is, we go back to the earth to mate and bring up our offspring: we live together in the same beaches but we are not the same. Sea wolves belong to the otarido family; elephant seals in turn, are focidos.

Sea wolves more using the four flippers, the elephant seals only with their anterior ones. Both have developed our eyesight more than our hearing, unlike the cetaceans. Did you by any chance think that we didn’t see you laugh at your clumsiness on the ground?  Let’s see what you do in the water, if you are as good as us.  

Right Whale 

Right Whale 

I am the star of the trip, and the last to appear, like all divas. I can assure that I won’t let you down. I’ve certainly got an opponent that is intent on outshining me, a cetaceous relative of another branch of the family. The killer whale, well deserving its tittle. Yes, I know, I shouldn’t talk behind my cousin’s back,one who kills seals for food… but didn’t you come with your offspring? It is part of the natural chain, the econsystem, you name it, but I am much less cruel.

I am the right whale, declared Natural Mounument in 1984 by National Parks to increase its worldwide protection which I enjoy since 1935.  It was by no means enough, more so if you consider that my name in English, “right whale”, comes from being the “indicated” ( right ) one for killing, for being the slowest, the one yielding the hugest quantity of oil and also floating after dying… My 15 metres spine shudders with the thought….

In reality that used to be so. Now more than 600 of us meet each year in Valdes from June to November. September and October are the preferred months by tourists, as it is the time when our “little” ones are born. I am very busy mating, giving birth and taking care of the calf that I am expecting. Boats don’t scare me; on the contrary, they make me curious. I like to go under the boat and see how the tourists go from one side of the boat to the other to follow me and wait to see my big tail – tail-fluke to be more exact – come out of the water or hurl myself up and fall, letting my 30 tons that smack in the sea. I don’t do it all the times, only when I am in the mood of shaking my bones a bit.

If you come with your kids, I promise I’ll think it over ! 

The Penguin, the Right Whale and the Sea Wolf send their love to three smart and adorable siblings in Chicago, Ali, Ben and Sarah.


No comments: